Monday, January 25, 2010

Buff's Pub in Newton Corner

Buff's Pub won the 2009 Phoenix Boston's Best award for their famous wings, which come in several varieties. I had the hot wings and onion rings along with a generous glass of water. Can you say "fire in the hole"?

Needless to say, I eventually had to make my way to the back of this cozy neighborhood bar to use their facilities.

I must admit I was deceived on two fronts.

The first was it's double doors. I thought for sure the basic wooden door led directly into a one-toilet room. There was, in fact, a kind of foyer to this ladies room. A small anteroom lay on the other side, with another door. Had I fallen down the rabbit hole?

But no, the second door led into a surprisingly well-maintained and clean bathroom. This was the second deception. I had not expected a well-tiled floor without a speck of grime (save one spot of...yes I'll say it...blood. Ick!)

The sink and toilet were equally spotless (no pun intended), and there was plenty of everything. I could even open the door with a paper towel so as not to touch the door handle. For the second door, this wasn't so easy.

As I walked back to my table, I pondered the meaning of the bathroom anteroom. Was it a deterrent against embarrassing walk-ins? Or perhaps a waiting area to keep customers out of the way of the busy, yet friendly, waitress?

My friend and fellow editor had the answer right away: Make-out room.

Satisfied with this answer, I went back to my lip-numbing, but delicious wings, thinking to myself that this bathroom gets 3.5 out of 4 rolls on my scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment